Celebrating Ten Years of Identity-Based Encryption (IBE)
Over the past 10 years, IBE has become the one of the fastest deployed encryption technologies as measured by the commercial adoption of Voltage SecureMail™ and the use of IBE as a general purpose key management solution used across the Voltage Security product line. Since its commercial launch 8 years ago, Voltage SecureMail has become one of the most widely adopted secure email products in the world with over one billion secure business emails sent annually and over 50 million worldwide users; those numbers are expected to double by 2014.
IBE was first introduced on Tuesday August 21 at the 2001 Crypto conference in a seminal paper by Dan Boneh, Stanford University, and Matt Franklin, University of California Davis. The paper, entitled “Identity-Based Encryption from the Weil Pairing,” set forth a simple but powerful approach for encrypting information with identity-based keys. This cryptography breakthrough became the founding technology for Voltage Security that was incorporated in 2002 by three Stanford students working with Professor Boneh: Matt Pauker, Rishi Kacker and Guido Appenzeller. In July 2003, the new company launched Voltage SecureMail, an email encryption product using IBE to secure messages without the difficulties and expenses of traditional certificates.
Key metrics in the 10 year history of IBE:
- 50 million Voltage SecureMail users worldwide.
- Approximately one billion IBE secured business emails will be sent in 2011.
- By 2014, it is estimated there will be 100 million Voltage SecureMail licensed users and over two billion secure emails will be sent that year.
- All the messages protected by IBE in 2011, if printed out, would circle the globe seven times.
- Nearly a third of the world’s 20 biggest public companies (per the Forbes Global 2000) have standardized on Voltage SecureMail.
World’s Biggest Companies Standardize on Voltage SecureMail
Nearly 30% of the world’s 20 biggest public companies (as listed by Forbes Global 2000) have standardized on Voltage SecureMail powered by IBE including four of the world’s largest global financial institutions; one of the world’s largest retailers, one of the largest U.S. managed healthcare providers and several large regional healthcare providers.
Notable Voltage SecureMail customers from the last year include:
- One of the largest Wall Street banks with over 230,000 employees standardizes on Voltage SecureMail
- A major Wall Street bank and Fortune 100 financial services provider with global operations chooses Voltage SecureMail for its 100,000 employees around the world.
- A major credit card brand with over 60,000 employees standardizes on Voltage SecureMail
- An award-winning regional health care organization replaces a non-functioning email security solution from one of the largest technology companies in the world with a policy-based encryption solution from Voltage SecureMail
- A Fortune 50 global financial services company deploys Voltage SecureMail to over 320,000 internal and several million external users across 86 countries, replacing an aging PKI-based encryption technology.
In addition, over 1000 enterprise companies have standardized on Voltage SecureMail, and thousands of mid-size to smaller business use the cloud-based Voltage SecureMail Cloud™ solution to protect private and confidential information.
More information at www.voltage.com